The Dublin Cycling Campaign is an independent, voluntary lobby group that has been working to improve the city for all cyclists for over a decade and a half.
Dublin Cycling Campaign has been working since the early 1990s to improve conditions for cyclists in Dublin. Among our achievements are
- 30 km/h speed limit in Dublin city centre and residential areas
- Restrictions on heavy goods vehicles in the city centre
- Public bicycle parking provision in the city centre
- An active input into the National Cycling Policy Framework, published April 2009
- Bicycle policy audit (BYPAD) for Dublin City Council
- Representatives on transport strategic planning committees in Dublin City and Dun Laoghaire - Rathdown
- Establishment of cycle forum for Dublin City
- Bull bars to be removed from SUVs from late 2009
- Dangerous overtaking: We want greater awareness and enforcement of the dangerous overtaking offence, and a mandatory passing distance of 1.5m.
- Speed limits and enforcement: We are working for more widespread 30km/h speed limits and a much better enforcement of urban speed limits.
- Removal of multi-lane & gyratory systems like Westmoreland St/D'Olier Street. See our members' feedback on '10 worst' places to cycle in Dublin here
- Bikes on trains: With our fellow campaigners around the country, we are pushing Iarnrod Eireann to allow carriage of bikes on trains, including DART and commuter trains.
- Bikes and buses: A bus/bike working group was recently established.
- Higher standards of cycling skills and training. In regard to the recently released (Dec 2012) Road Safety Authority videos on cycling safety (viewable via here: http://www.cyclist.ie/2013/01/rsa-videos/), here is the Cyclist.ie submission (of 12/Oct/2012) sent to the RSA, compiled after Cyclist.ie had a chance to watch and comment on a draft version of the four videos: /sites/dublincycling.ie/files/users/9/rsacyclingsafely-video-oct2012-final.docx_.pdf [In the forthcoming redesign of the Campaign website - and when we have more time, we will create a more prominent space for this important subject. Watch this space!]
- Cycling for everyone: We want to sell the message that cycling is not just the fastest and cheapest way of getting around town, it can also be incredibly cool and stylish!
Other campaign issues
- Heavy goods vehicles
- Cycle training
- Rules of the road revision